Tuesday 14 February 2012

Junior Doctors / Gap year plans!

Been watching the Junior Doctors programme on TV at the moment, it’s been really interesting for getting inside the life of an F1 or F2. It’s quite heartening to see them not always getting it right, it helps me to imagine how I might cope if I was a Junior Doctor, and how to learn from mistakes! One thing that’s really become apparent after watching this series and the last is that the age of the doctor really makes a difference to his or her level of care. Of course, competence comes from experience, so F2s are more confident than the F1s but those who are older tend to have a much greater depth of maturity and this helps their care. There was a student on the last series who was 29 by the time he was an F2 and he was by far the best of all of the doctors! For me, it’s really reinforcing the idea of going on a gap year before I start medical school. I feel like it’s really important to have real life experience and be worldly before one becomes a doctor, and the programme has backed up that idea. It would give me the opportunity to visit different parts of the world, and begin to live more like an adult. I would really like to visit Asia again after visiting India, and my cousin has made me aware of a contact she made in Sri Lanka who offers places in his hotel for volunteers at a really low cost! It works out relatively cheap per week in comparison with other more expensive schemes and I would really love to take the opportunity to go and see more of the world before I become highly invested in medical school. I would also love to see more of Europe, especially Eastern Europe, and also take the opportunity to get some real work experience in a hospital or do some really worthwhile voluntary work in local hospitals, seeing as places are limited below the age of 18.

No comments:

Post a Comment